Great Seal

Frequently Asked Questions

General Disclaimer

Please note that the following responses are intended to provide only general guidance. If you require additional information beyond the information provided, it is recommended that you contact the resource referenced, speak to a representative of the U.S. Probation Office, or consult with an attorney. In addition, please note that U.S. Probation Office records and files are the property of the U.S. District Court and cannot be disclosed unless ordered to do so by the sentencing judge. In addition, pursuant to Federal Law, the Freedom of Information Act and the Privacy Act do not apply to the Federal Judiciary.

I have just been released from federal prison. When do I have to report for supervision?

          You are required to report to your assigned U.S. Probation Officer within 72 hours of release, which includes weekends and holidays. If you have been convicted in the Eastern District of Arkansas, please call (501) 604-5240 between the hours of 8:00am and 5:00 for instructions on where to report.

I know of a family member who is on Federal probation/supervision. Can you tell me what crime s/he committed?

          The U.S. Probation Office is restricted from disclosing information to the public. However, most convictions are public record. These records are maintained by the U.S. District Court Clerk.

I am an employer and I want to know if a prospective employee has been convicted of a crime. Does the U.S. Probation Office run background checks for employers?

          The U.S. Probation Office is restricted from disclosing this information to the public.

I have a family member/friend who is scheduled to be released from prison. He was convicted in federal court in another district or state but wants to reside within the Eastern District of Arkansas. How can his case be transferred?

          The offender must request transfer of jurisdiction from his Bureau of Prisons Case Manager. When the request is made by the case manager, the U.S. Probation Office will conduct an investigation to determine whether the offender can reside in this district and will report its findings to the Bureau of Prisons.

I am on probation/supervised release. Am I allowed to leave the district?

          Unless you are given permission in advance, any requests to travel outside of the Eastern District of Arkansas must be approved in advance by your U.S. Probation Officer. Failure to do so may result in a violation of your supervision.

I want to report a possible violation of probation/supervised release. Do you have a tip line?

          The U.S. Probation Office does not have a tip line. However, if you are aware of someone who has committed a crime, please contact your local police department immediately. After notifying your local police department, call (501) 604-5240 between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, and ask to speak to the duty officer if you believe the individual may be under federal supervision.

How do I find out if my U.S. Probation Officer issued a warrant for my arrest?

          The U.S Probation Office is not authorized to disclose this information.

I owe restitution for my crime. Who do I pay?

          All checks and money orders should be payable to the Clerk, United States District Court, 600 West Capitol Avenue, Room A149, Little Rock, AR 72201-3325. Please note if the payment is for fine, restitution, or special assessment fee, include the docket number and defendant name in your case. Payments may also be made by cash, Visa, or MasterCard, accompanied with proper identification.

I have a friend/family member who is in prison. How do I find out where he is being held?

          If your friend/family member was convicted in Federal court, he most likely is held in a prison operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons. To find out which prison he is assigned and how you can visit or send mail, please go to the Bureau of Prisons website at

How can I file for a pardon?

          Please visit for more information.

If I am convicted of a felony in Federal court, can I vote?

          In the state of Arkansas you automatically have your voting rights restored after you have fully discharged your sentence, including any period of probation, parole, or supervised release. However, if you move to another state, your right to vote will be controlled by the laws of that state. When you register to vote you will need to present your discharge letter that will be mailed to you at the completion of your sentence.

Our office hours for all locations are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm, excluding federal holidays.

For UA reporting, please call:
1-800-215-6352 or
(501) 604-5283.

Contact Us