In September 2022, the U.S. Probation Office Eastern District Arkansas established the Interdisciplinary Working Group (IWG) with representatives from all units to examine and improve workplace and workload issues identified in a staff survey.
The IWG is committed to gathering feedback, brainstorming ideas, problem-solving, and implementing solutions in a timely manner. The IWG plans to implement 1-3 initiatives a month based on the survey results and feedback from staff to IWG members. The IWG long-term goals are:
- Address Issues: IWG members serve as unit representatives who work with supervisors and peers to identify issues, obtain feedback, and problem solve to create a more productive, efficient, and congenial environment.
- Define Reality: IWG members serve as liaisons to educate and communicate the reality of workload and workplace demands. They explain why some ideas or initiatives may or may not be suitable for implementation.
- Educate & Implement: IWG members serve to educate staff and ensure timely and effective implementation of updated processes and procedures.
Since our inception in September 2022, the IWG has completed the following initiatives:
- PSI Home Inspection Procedures (clarified roles and responsibilities)
- Monthly Supervision Report Procedures (streamlined workload)
- Workplace Flexibility Information (highlighted flexible work schedule options)
- Supervision Duty Officer Procedures (clarified roles and responsibilities)
- Field-hour requirement revised to support purpose-driven contacts based on the risk and needs of the client.
Future initiatives include examining and managing workload for notification of possible criminal conduct, Location Monitoring procedures, and assignments on strategic planning committees or other duties.